Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hello, [Indie Game] World!

The tileset for my Run Away game.
I have been trying to do this for so long.  I have wanted to make computer games since I was a child.  And, in some ways, I have already made games.  I have created small games like a Tetris clone, and a game called Run Away (thanks Chris from middle school), and even a game that plays much like Paratrooper.  In addition, I have started many, many programming projects that were supposed to be games.  The end result, however, has always been an abandoned game project (although I usually made enough of a game to test out an interesting game-play idea).  As it stands, I have never completed a full game project of my own. 

So, here I am now.  I am ready to actually finish a game for once.  I will make myself do it.  I even have a blog to prove it!  (If only a blog guaranteed success like that...)  Of course, I do have a real job (boo!), but someday I WILL make a game that brings in the cash!  Then I can quit my job...  OK, so I will probably never make enough creating computer games to get to that point, but it is still a good goal.  I will finish a significant computer game project.  As life goals go, that shouldn't be too hard, right?  I have children. 

My project idea this time is to make a computer adventure game.  It will have everything I first loved about computer games:  a fantasy setting, a nobody as the main character, lots of beautiful (8-bit) scenery, an epic story, an evil villain, a gushingly happy ending, and talking animals! To keep me from dreaming too big, I will create an adventure that is smaller than the average title (think King's Quest) but larger than an April's Fools adventure game.  If nothing else, it will be a lot of fun. 

The only thing I am worried about are the graphics (and music, if I decide to go that far).  However, if I can get the game working with placeholder graphics, my artistic side should have room to blossom.  And after completing one game, who knows what else I can do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment